Good cheese. We like it creamy, stringy, stinky, salty, or even slightly nutty. Cheese never fails to satisfy a savory appetite.

Sure, Easy Mac and Kraft Singles seem to be staples of the college diet, but despite our limited budgets and nostalgia for childhood favorites, we Millennials have an unexpected appreciation (and craving) for premium artisan cheese. Not to mention our wine obsessed selves happen to feel super classy when sipping on a glass of Barefoot with a plate of cheese in front of us.

Ever find yourself cooing over restaurant menus when your eyes find the words “baked brie,” “goat cheese,” or “extra-aged asiago?” Ever find it impossible to refuse when the Olive Garden server twirls that magic handle over your dish?

cheese

Photo courtesy of buzzfeed.com

Face it and embrace it. As progressive millennials, it’s time to celebrate our mind, body, and soul’s yearning for exceptional cheese.

Whether you’ve already embraced your calling or are still discovering the world of cheese, here are 8 facts about millennials that explain our shameless obsession with premium artisan cheese.

We appreciate prestige

cheese

Photo courtesy of wisconsincheeseoriginals.com

The world of fine cheese epitomizes expertise, quality, and appreciation for mature flavors. With handsome names, elaborate production techniques, and impressive descriptive jargon, who wouldn’t want to try their shot at becoming a fine cheese connoisseur?

Sartori, a 4th generation WI-based cheesemaker, features limited edition lines dubbing names such as “Cognac BellaVitano,” Dolcina Gorgonzola,” and “Regal Blend.” Impress your friends and family by describing unique aging processes and hidden notes of each premium blend.

We like to entertain

cheese

Photo courtesy of onyamagazine.com

As Millennials, we’re social people. We constantly share ideas, pictures, and experiences with each other. As most of these interactions transpire via mobile and internet channels, we value tangible moments shared together. So when the opportunity to entertain arises, we want to treat our guests with an unforgettable mind-body experience. Let’s be clear though: a get-together is only as great as the food you serve.

Lucky for you, whipping-up an artfully delicious cheese plate is surprisingly easy, affordable, and Instagram worthy:

1. Pick out a few blocks of cheese (a variety of flavors and textures is best).

2. Select a handful of fruity and savory pairings: fruit preserve, nuts, chocolate, or anything pickled.

#SpoonTip: This is a perfect opportunity to use those random jars cluttering the back of your pantry.

3. Arrange the goods on some sort of tray, and voila! For more details, check out this guide for plating advice from the cheese masters themselves.

We love wine and wine loves cheese

cheese

Photo by Bernard Wen

When it comes down to it, there aren’t many better ways to enjoy an evening than savoring wine and fine cheese with (or without) the squad.

Wine and cheese nights are mature and sophisticated (except for the box) and we take pride in our development into the independent adults of tomorrow.

cheese

Gif courtesy of manuscriptcellars.com

So educate yourself on the perfect pairings and indulge with class.

#SpoonTip: Your investment in premium cheese is a perfect justification for finishing that bottle of vintage pinot you opened after finals.

We value authenticity

cheese

Photo courtesy of dairycarrie.com

Craft is the new black. From microbrews to thrift shop sweaters, our generation loves products and brands that embody unique stories and support progressive causes.

Many artisan cheese companies are family-run with generationally-perfected recipes. These are people who simply know and love cheese. Companies such as Sartori have in-house Certified Cheesemakers hand crafting and tasting each blend. It truly is an art.

We want to know what is, and isn’t, in our food

cheese

Photo courtesy of frozbroz.com

For artisan cheesemakers, farm-to-table principles are part of the process, not just an afterthought. Premium cheese contains just 4 simple ingredients: pasteurized milk, salt, cheese culture, and enzymes. For example, Sartori sources all of its milk from local, hormone-free Wisconsin dairy farms. No preservatives, no hormones, no shame.

We want real, hearty food

cheese

Photo courtesy of kqed.org

The days of fat-free everything and rib-skinny models are gone. It’s the era of gastropubs and home-style cooking. Back to the fundamentals that fueled our ancestors. Cheese, meats, fresh produce, etc.

We crave savory foods that put a twist on historic classics. Duck-fat parmesean fries and bacon asiago brussels sprouts… let’s go.

We like to treat ourselves

cheese

Photo courtesy of SartoriCheese.com

We’re passionate, hard-working individuals who are motivated to grow and make progressive impacts. But we don’t like to overexert ourselves.

“Work hard, play hard” is our motto and mindfulness is our creed. At the end of the day, we make time to reward ourselves.

cheese

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

This is where artisan cheese conquers. For the price of a family-size bag of chips, you can buy yourself a quality wedge of cheese and a moment of self-indulgence. Whether you maintain your loyal relationship with sharp cheddar, or prefer to try eccentric flavors like espresso or citrus-ginger, tasting artisan cheese pulls the mind directly to the senses.

All of our favorite foods are made with cheese

cheese

Photo by Parisa Soraya.

It’s true. There’s your American selection of cheese fries, cheeseburger, grilled cheese, and mac and cheese. You love your Italian choices of pizza, pasta, caesar salad, and cheesy garlic bread. And how could you enjoy your burritos, nachos, or queso dip without the star ingredient? Face it, your breakfast BEC would not be the same without the C.

Any plate of food is only as good as the ingredients put into it, and every one of the aforementioned dishes are exponentially better when made with artisan cheese.

cheese

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

Ultimately, this all points to one fact about Millennials: we like to feel classy. So embrace your tastes and yearnings. Go out, or stay in, and indulge in some fancy premium cheese. You’re worth it.