Traditional steamed Chinese buns (or Baos) are no-doubt delicious, but can be an intimidating meal to take on at home. What I bet you never thought to do is replace the normally handmade dough with a store bought biscuit dough. I know it’s kind of cheating, but it will save you probably three or four hours and you won’t be able to tell the difference.

Teriyaki Chicken Buns

• Prep Time:30 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:50 minutes
  • Servings:16 steamed buns

• 1 lb chicken
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 2 tablespoon water mixed with cornstarch
  • 1 bunch chives
  • 1 can biscuit dough
Photo by Max Faucher

Cut the chicken into tenderloin sized pieces (or just buy chicken tenderloins like I did) and boil them for 5 minutes until cooked through.

GIF by Max Faucher

While the chicken is cooking, build the teriyaki sauce. Add the soy sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger and cornstarch mixture in a sauce pan. Bring it to a simmer and whisk together until the sauce thickens.

GIF by Max Faucher

Mince the chives and set aside.

GIF by Max Faucher

Shred the chicken and mix it together with 2/3 of the teriyaki sauce and roughly 3/4 of the chives.

GIF by Max Faucher

Cut the biscuits in half so that there are 16 small balls of dough. On a floured surface roll out the balls until flat.

GIF by Max Faucher

Add the chicken mixture and wrap the dough around it, pinching at the top to seal.

GIF by Max Faucher

Place the buns in either a steamer on top of a regular pot of boiling water.

#SpoonTip: It can help if you spray the steamer basket with cooking spray so that it’s easier to get them out afterwards. 

GIF by Max Faucher

Steam the buns for about 20 minutes.

Serve the buns with the rest of the chives and sauce on the side.

GIF by Max Faucher