I hate to mess with a traditional meal like scallion pancakes, but who can resist the allure of melted cheese? The scallion pancake is honestly the perfect target for the quesadilla treatment. Besides the fact that it’s round, flat and flaky it also has a slightly savory and salty taste that adds to the complexion of the quesadillas without intruding too much.

I suggest you stick with a basic melting cheese like Monterey Jack that will allow the scallions in the pancake to come through, but I won’t blame you if you want to amp things up with some sharp cheddar or a smokey gouda. I didn’t even begin to contemplate other fillings but I feel like you can’t go wrong with adding some chicken, bell peppers or even kimchi. Damn I may have to revisit this recipe at some point.

Scallion Pancake Quesadialla

• Prep Time:1 hour
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour & 30 minutes

• 1&1/4 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 bunch scallions, chopped
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
  • Vegetable oil
  • Salt
  • Soy sauce for serving
Photo by Max Faucher

Mix flour and the water together in a bowl until you have a firm, elastic ball. If it’s too sticky add more flour. Brush with oil and let rest for about 30 minutes.

GIF by Max Faucher

On a floured surface, cut the dough in half and roll flat into a wide rectangular shape. Brush the flattened dough with oil and then sprinkle on a few pinches of salt and half the chopped scallions.

GIF by Max Faucher

Roll the dough up into a thin snake starting with the wider edge. Cut the snake in half and then roll each half into a spiral. It should look kind of like an uncooked cinnamon roll.

GIF by Max Faucher

Repeat the last two steps with the other half of the dough so that you are left with 4 dough spirals. Let them rest for at least 10 minutes.

Roll each wheel into a flat disc and set aside.

GIF by Max Faucher

Heat a pan on medium-high heat and add some vegetable oil. Cook each pancake for about 2 minutes on each side or until they’re crispy and have brown spots.

GIF by Max Faucher

Return a cooked pancake to the pan, now on medium-low heat, and top it with half of the cheese and then another pancake. Let it cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Once the cheese is melty it’s good to go.

GIF by Max Faucher

Serve the quesadillas with soy sauce, sour cream, salsa, pickled vegetables or whatever you feel like.

GIF by Max Faucher